Thursday, July 27, 2006

>Not knowing how you impact peoples lives>>
We all know or knew someone like this!!>>
One day, when I was a freshman in high school,>>
I saw a kid from my class was walking home from school.>>
His name was Kyle.>>It looked like he was carrying all of his books.>>
I thought to myself, "Why would anyone bring home all his books on a >
Friday?>>He must really be a nerd."
>>I had quite a weekend planned (parties and a football game with my
>friends tomorrow afternoon), so I shrugged my shoulders and went on.
>>As I was walking, I saw a bunch of kids running toward him.
>>They ran at him, knocking all his books out of his arms and tripping
>him so he landed in the dirt.>>His glasses went flying, and I saw them land in the grass about ten >feet from him.
>>He looked up and I saw this terrible sadness in his eyes
>>My heart went out to him. So, I jogged over to him as he crawled >around looking for his glasses, and I saw a tear in his eye.
>>As I handed him his glasses, I said, "Those guys are jerks. "
>>They really should get lives.>>" He looked at me and said, "Hey thanks!"
>>There was a big smile on his face.
>>It was one of those smiles that showed real gratitude.
>>I helped him pick up his books, and asked him where he lived.
>>As it turned out, he lived near me, so I asked him why I had never seen him before.
>>He said he had gone to private school before now.>>I would have never hung out with a private school kid before.
>>We talked all the way home, and I carried some of his books.
>>He turned out to be a pretty cool kid.
>>I asked him if he wanted to play a little football with my friends
>>He said yes.
>>We hung out all weekend and the more I got to know Kyle, the more I
>liked him, and myfriends thought the same of him.
>>Monday morning came! , and there was Kyle with the huge stack of books again.
>>I stopped him and said, "Boy, you are gonna really build some serious muscles with this pile of books everyday!
>>" He just laughed and handed me half the books.
>>Over the next four years, Kyle and I became best friends.
>>When we were seniors, we began to think about college.
>>Kyle decided on Georgetown, and I was going to Duke.
>>I knew that we would always be friends, that the miles would never be a problem.
>He was going to be a doctor, and I was going for business on a >football scholarship.
>Kyle was valedictorian of our class.
>>I teased him all the time about being a nerd.
>>He had to prepare a speech for graduation.
>>I was so glad it wasn't me having to get up there and speak
>>Graduation day, I saw Kyle.
>>He looked great.
>>He was one of those guys that really found himself during high >school.>>He filled out and actually looked good in glasses.
>>He had more dates than I had and all the girls loved him.
>>Boy, sometimes I was jealous!Today was one of those days.
>>I could see that he was nervous about his speech.
>>So, I smacked him on the back and said, "Hey, big guy, you'll be great!"
>>He looked at me with one of those looks (the really grateful one) and smiled.
>>" Thanks," he said.
>>As he started his speech, he cleared his throat, and began
>>"Graduation is a time to thank those who helped you make it through
>those tough years.>>Your parents, your teachers, your siblings, maybe a coach...but
>mostly your friends...
>>I am here to tell all of you that being a friend to someone is the >best gift you can give them.
>>I am going to tell you a story."
>>I just looked at my friend with disbelief as he told the story of
>the first day we met.>>He had planned to kill himself over the weekend.
>>He talked of how he had cleaned out his locker so his Mom wouldn't
>have to do it later and was carrying his stuff home.
>>He looked hard at me and gave me a little smile.
>>"Thankfully, I was saved.>>My friend saved me from doing the unspeakable."
>>I heard the gasp go through the crowd as this handsome, popular boy told us all about his weakest moment.
>>I saw his Mom and dad looking at me and smiling that same grateful smile.
>>Not until that moment did I realize it's depth.
>>Never underestimate the power of your actions.
>>With one small gesture you can change a person's life.
>>For better or for worse.
>>God puts us all in each other's lives to impact one another in some >way.
>>Look for God in others.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home