Tuesday, May 06, 2008

from 'The Dogs of Babel'-the balladry of Tam Lin excerpt:

Out then spoke the Fairy Queen, and an angry Queen was she.

"You have taken the finest knight in all my company."
"Had i known but yesterday what i know today,
i'd have taken out your two grey eyes and put in eyes of clay."
"And had i known but yesterday you'd be no more my own,
i'd have taken out your heart of flesh and put in one of stone."

it's heart-wrenching but the protagonist in the book is right.the fairy queen is stereotyped to be a baddie, but if someone suddenly comes along and steals from u, u have the right to be angry-heartbroken even, especially if your love's been whisked.
put in eyes of clay that cannot give tears. put in a heart of stone so that it won't break.


i found several versions of the ballad(excerpt):

The Queen of Fairies she cried out
Young Tam Lin is away..
Had I known, had I known, Tam Lin

Long before, long before you came from home
Had I known, I would have taken out your heart
And put in a heart of stone..
Had I known, had I known, Tam Lin

That a lady, a lady would steal thee
Had I known, I would have taken out your eyes
And put into a rowan tree..
Had I known, had I known, Tam Lin

That I would lose, that I would lose the day
Had I known, I would have paid my tithe to hell
Before you'd been won away


ah such poetry XD.


been laughing a LOT lately. must be the stress. and the company. LOL. and the hot hot hot motivation.

Happy Birthday to Yu Xuan today!!=D

oh oh oh! Thanks a million to izz for something. HEEEES.

i'm curious about something...quite a few, now that i think about it..but i'll just mind my own business....

*minding my own business*

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home